Sunday, April 17, 2011

Small Sacrifices

When we started our wedding planning we knew that we would have to make a lot of sacrifices. We are working on a small budget, made up mostly of our own money, and we got engaged about 7 months before our wedding date.

One of my first sacrifices was reception venue. We are being married in a church and I REALLY wanted to have our reception outside at Botanica, a local garden.


Isn't it beautiful?!

You even get an indoor space in case of bad weather.

Well... unfortunately, this place books up a year in advance. The only remaining option for a wedding this summer was on a Friday night, and my mom didn't like that idea at all.

Not only was that an issue, but so was the cost. The would have cost $2000 for the space alone. That doesn't include any of the extras like linens, chairs, etc. For some people $2,000 is no big deal. For us, it was a huge deal breaker.

So I finally agreed to our cheapest option- have the reception in the lunch room in the school connected to the church we would be married at. This was also my school cafeteria from kindergarten through 8th grade and it just seemed weird, but I have gotten over that. Not only has it cut out the need for transportation between the ceremony and reception, this hall was only $150 to rent. I hope we can still make it beautiful!




Then the next sacrifice came up a few months later. If I was going to have our reception there, I DID NOT want those ugly brown metal chairs! But our current guest list was ranging from 250-300 people. You could rent the white wooden chairs (like the picture above from Botanica) for $2.50 each. Again, doesn't sound like a huge deal, but when you need 250 that is $625. My mother and Ben kept telling me I was crazy for wanting to spend our money on chairs. Then I looked into the white plastic folding chairs- $1.50 each. Still that was going to be $375. Finally, I gave up any idea of white chairs, chair covers, etc. because when it came down to it, I knew that the money we would spend on that we could get more use out of in other places.

I hope that the reception is still beautiful, although I often have my doubts, but I have to remember what it's really about. Ben and I are getting married and that is the most important thing.

What sacrifices have you made in working out your budget?


1 comment:

  1. I too am struggling with the brown metal chair dilemma! Our wedding is 7 months away and we decided on using my church's hall in the basement. Unfortunately, those chairs and I don't get along and I don't know what to do. I looked into renting newer chairs, chair covers, something, but as you said, it's too expensive and I'm sure that money could go to something much better. I'm trying to remind myself that it's about me marrying my best friend, but I mean do we HAVE to sit in those ugly chairs?? Please help!! What did you do??

    ReplyDelete