Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Say yes to the dress... before the ring!

No one knows besides my mother and maid of honor, but I actually bought my dress before I was engaged. I knew it was coming soon. We were "just looking," and the dress I fell in love with was $100 off and was potentially not going to make it into the David's Bridal spring line. It did make the spring line, however it has not been listed at the price I bought it for since it became a part of the spring line. I actually bought the dress the night Ben asked my dad if he could marry me. Good thing he said yes! : )

When I first went dress shopping, I had very specific ideas in mind: sweetheart neckline, a line, train, some detaining, and maybe pleating on the bodice.

My first online dress crush was this Jasmine one:

I still swoon over the neckline. It literally had it all. When I went into stores, they told me they no longer carried it. : (

Then I tried on a Private Label by G dress. It was pretty much love, but sticker shock. I definitely wanted to stay under $1000 and this was $1100-1200. Before alterations. It really did make my tiny 34A's look great though!


*Ben, you are not allowed to read beyond this point!*

Meanwhile, I went into David's Bridal just to "make sure there wasn't anything I would like there". I had seen every dress online and was sure that none of them were my dress. However, for a lower price, I was willing to go try some on and see.

I tried on several without a lot of luck. Then the sales associate brought out a new dress. It wasn't pictured online or in catalogues yet because they weren't even sure if it would be a part of their spring line, which would be announced in about a month. It was on sale for $699, $799 reg.

Ok, I really feel like the online picture and my pictures do not do it justice. I tried it on in white, ordered it in ivory, and it is currently being altered! I will get it back this friday! I can't wait! I am so nervous and excited and so many different things.


I'm in love with it! I will make sure to take some good pictures this weekend when I go to pick it up!


Ok, fess up! Did any of you buy your dress before you were engaged?
How did you know that it was "the one"?
Have you had any doubts about it since the purchase?

2 comments:

  1. Just found you through Weddingbee! So funny - we had the same dress crush, only when I went to try it on (2 years ago) the shop didn't have it in yet. I got a different Jasmine instead, but a similar neckline to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still sad over that dress. It looks fabulous. But I could have put it on and it may have not been right. I feel great about my own dress (minus the bustle which I am just not fond of!)

    ReplyDelete